Download Tim Haran’s résumé (pdf).
Tim is a skilled social media director, content creator and digital strategist. He is experienced in building vibrant online communities, crafting engaging content for diverse audiences, and leading a team of specialists in creating award-winning social campaigns.
- Highly organized and results-driven manager who helped establish an internationally recognized social media department that now includes nearly 90 web properties and more than 750,000 followers globally.
- Expert communicator with experience creating timely, engaging and valuable content for a variety of audiences and stakeholders.
- USANA’s social media efforts have earned numerous awards and Tim has been named Social Media Professional of the Year (2014), Digital Communicator of the Year (2010) and Blogger of the Year (2010) by PR News.
- Spent nearly a decade as a journalist, working as a business reporter, sports reporter, sports editor and copy editor in both traditional and new media.
- Brand journalism
- Social media content marketing
- Public speaking, live training (in person and via webinar)
- Online content optimization
- International strategic communication
- Video content creation/editing/production
- Community management via digital media
- Athlete, spokesperson promotion
- Content creation in a regulated environment (FTC/FDA)
- Interviewing, writing, reporting
Utah Beer News
May 2018 – Present
- Spent a year researching the Utah craft beer scene, building backend infrastructure, and compiling story ideas in advance of a mid-2018 launch of utahbeernews.com
- Report news and notes from breweries and brewers who share a passion for craft beer
- Aim to share stories important to the larger craft beer community and to document the explosive growth currently taking place within the Utah craft beer scene
Founder/Digital Marketing Strategist
Tim Haran Digital, LLC.
June 2017 – Present
- Develop successful cross-platform campaigns and strategies while incorporating journalistic-style storytelling techniques to help brands better connect with current and potential customers
- Clients comprised of B2C and B2B brands, as well as current CEO of USANA Health Sciences
Director of Social Media
USANA Health Sciences, Inc.
March 2014 – May 2017
Directed daily operations of USANA’s global social media presence, placing special emphasis on engaging and interacting with powerful and diverse audiences in 20 markets worldwide by providing personalized, shareable content
- Integrated social media into broader company initiatives and ensured key performance indicators were met, while also establishing brand awareness and fostering brand loyalty
- Developed and implemented strategies to maximize international social media reach, leveraging social media management and analytics tools such as Hootsuite and Google Analytics
- Employed brand journalism techniques to provide credible, valuable content for a global audience of more than 500,000 independent distributors and preferred customers
- Spoke publicly to internal and external audiences about the value of social media for entrepreneurs and the benefits of building a strong brand online
- Nurtured a powerful online community and spearheaded an annual ambassadorship program to help promote the overall brand image
- Amassed more than 6 million views to the flagship What’s Up, USANA? blog, including a record 1.6 million in 2016 (46% increase over 2015)
- Improved social media visibility and integrated best practices companywide in areas such as marketing, network development, communications, customer service and human resources
- Invited to speak as a social media marketing expert at corporate and industry events
- Conceptualized and implemented a popular Social Media Ambassador program to engage with and reward our most loyal and enthusiastic social audience
Senior Manager of Social Media
USANA Health Sciences, Inc.
October 2011 – March 2014
Responsible for developing and maintaining a corporate social media presence to ensure USANA independent distributors, preferred customers and the general public remain connected and engaged with the international nutritional supplements company.
- Coordinated daily content for the award-winning What’s Up, USANA? blog, which totaled nearly 2.5 million page views through 2013
- Integrated social media into broader company initiatives
- Developed and implement strategies to maximize international social media reach
- Employed brand journalism techniques to provide credible, valuable content for a global audience
- Managed two social media specialists responsible for online reputation management, search engine optimization, content creation and audience interaction, among other tasks
- Increased What’s Up, USANA? page views by 157% (2013 vs. 2011) and ended 2013 have more than 4,00 opt-in email subscribers
- Oversaw significant increases in follower/subscriber counts on corporate-run Facebook (142%), Twitter (107%) and YouTube (743%) channels, compared to 2011
- Improved social media visibility and integrated best-practices company-wide in areas such as marketing, communications, customer service and human resources
- Invited to present to top-level distributors’ teams through individual meetings and larger webinars, as well as at the Direct Selling Association’s annual Be Connected conference
- Provided weekly reports to more than 60 employees worldwide, including officer-level executives
Manager of Social Media Content
USANA Health Sciences, Inc.
December 2007 – October 2011
Spent 11 months as a marketing writer before being asked to be part of the newly formed social media department. Started as a social media specialist (2008), advanced to senior social media specialist (2009) and then became manager of social media content (2010).
- Helped launch USANA’s social media department in early 2008 (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube)
- Managed the What’s Up, USANA? blog from its inception in December 2008
- Worked to get executive level buy-in for the value of social media as a viable communication tool
- Implemented strategies still in use by USANA’s corporate social media team, as well as by teams in several international offices
- Expanded social media reach from a single Facebook page and Twitter account to nearly 40 corporate properties worldwide and a nationally recognized company blog
- Established USANA social media as an industry leader and nurtured relationships with key customers to promote the brand worldwide via social platforms
The Salt Lake Tribune
August 2007 – December 2007
Edited news and sports articles as a temporary employee, and wrote headlines tailored to specific measurements; alerted editors to inconsistencies in stories and identified possible online references for inclusion in articles.
December 2005 – July 2007
Developed online content, including helping to launch hdvarsity.com, a High Desert sports portal; managed a staff of four reporters and regularly designed the daily section using Quark Xpress and InDesign.
June 2004 – December 2005
Covered high school and junior college sports for the 30,000-circulation daily newspaper; wrote a weekly column, “In the Spotlight,” recognizing achievements by local athletes.
6 Questions to Ask to Make Your Blogs More Actionable
PR News Online
July 14, 2015
Interviewed by Matthew Schwartz of PR News to share questions brand bloggers should ask themselves to make their blogs more actionable.
4 Elements of a Successful Blog Strategy
PR News Online
April 23, 2015
Interviewed by Richard Brownell of PR News to provide four tips for a successful blogging strategy. This coincided with a presentation I gave at the 2015 Digital PR Conference in June 2015.
How to Build an Army of Brand Ambassadors (link unavailable)
May 15, 2014
Delivered a 20-minute presentation discussing strategies and best practices for creating a brand ambassador program, as well as offering tips to promote such a program through various social media initiatives. Part of a five-person panel that included representatives from Dell, National Audubon Society, and UMB Financial Corporation.
4 Reasons Why Social Media is a Must at Live Events
World of Direct Selling
September 30, 2013
Submitted an article explaining four ways direct selling companies can get the most out of social media at their live events.
Putting Social Media to Work
Teach Jim BlogTalk Radio
November 15, 2012
Asked to be a guest on the Teach Jim BlogTalk Radio program to discuss effective use of social media (blogging in particular) for an entrepreneurial audience.
5 Tips to Best Leverage the New Twitter Profile Page Changes
PR News Online
September 18, 2012
Interviewed by PR News Online the day Twitter announced significant design changes.
Without Social Media, You’ll Be Playing Catch-Up, Says Tim Haran
PR News Online
September 12, 2012
Q&A about the importance of social media from a brand perspective.
PR News Hotlist: 8 Tips to Boost Engagement on Facebook
PR News Online
August 23, 2012
Interviewed by PR News Online discussing ways to boost engagement on Facebook.
Social Media Ambassador Lounge
Our Social Media Ambassadors are invaluable. This group of 300 or so USANA Associates from around the world helps us achieve our overarching goals of building brand awareness and fostering brand loyalty. In an effort to reward their passion and increase their sharing power, we created an exclusive invitation-only lounge specifically for this valued group of Associates.
The one-day-only lounge opened on Wednesday, Aug. 24. We put together an agenda of activities highlighted by a special sneak peek at the USANA InCelligence Technology™ announcement all other Convention attendees would hear the following morning.
The afternoon session featured a Rev3 Happy Hour and a Fun & Games Hour where Ambassadors could bring a guest to relax and network with other Ambassadors. Nearly 200 of the Ambassadors registered in the morning and others filtered in and out throughout the day — to take advantage of the charging station or simply to take a break in a comfortable room away from the crowds.
We consider the Lounge to be an unqualified success and we plan to expand on the concept in the future. Here are a few comments from our Social Media Ambassadors:
- Thank you for our special lounge. Loved it! — Cheryl G.
- Thank you. It was a great experience to be part of this team. — Irma A.
- Thanks! Loved the social media ambassador lounge. — Richard B.
- It was a great thing and I think we should have this every year. — Mark H.
- Loved every minute of it. Thank you! — Roberta A.
Express Your Selfie: #USANASelfie Global Social Media Promotion
The weeklong global social media promotion succeeded in creating buzz and energizing thousands at the 2014 USANA International Convention (#USANA14). It also built brand awareness, while recognizing and rewarding influential USANA audiences.
A simple idea: Take and share creative photos of yourself leading up to and during USANA’s most important event of the year, and tag the pics #USANAselfie.
The successful interdepartmental campaign featured email marketing, e-newsletter blurbs and dozens of social mentions. Extensive on-site promotion drove the message home.
More than 4,500 photos were uploaded to Instagram and Twitter, and #USANAselfie became the talk of #USANA14.
It earned a 2015 Social Media Icon award for Best Contest: Instagram and Platinum recognition in the 2014 MarCom Awards.
“USANA Open” Global Facebook Promotion
Conceptualized, organized and managed the USANA Open, a month-long, Facebook-based promotion that reached a global audience and awarded weekly prizes to individuals in five countries. The initiative resulted in 2,000 email entries and boosted Facebook likes by nearly 4,000.
The promotion built brand awareness and increased engagement on corporate social channels, while also leveraging USANA’s longstanding partnership with the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA). It highlighted a new USANA Brand Ambassador each week, providing participants with four chances to win more than $1,500 worth of WTA-signed merchandise and USANA products.
“USANA @ 20” Multi-Part Blog Series
March 2012 – August 2012
Conceptualized, organized and managed a wide-ranging blog-based series celebrating USANA Health Sciences’ 20th anniversary. Personally wrote two of the 20 stories and edited the remainder, which included incorporating multimedia elements to certain posts.
The 20-part weekly series, written by seven writers spanning three departments, garnered nearly 15,000 page views. It featured difference-makers — not only individuals, but departments, products, and more — who have had a significant impact on USANA and are poised to propel the company into the future.
“Tested. Proven. We Are USANA.” Video Series
Produced a multi-part, social media-based video series promoting USANA’s brand rallying cry — Tested. Proven. We Are USANA. The five-volume video series rolled out the week of USANA’s 2011 International Convention. It featured top USANA management, world-class athletes, Hollywood celebrities and high-ranking USANA distributors.
University of California, Berkeley
2000 – 2002
Learned basic and advanced reporting skills from successful journalists while gaining real-world reporting experience at one of the top journalism programs in the country.
- Excelled in deadline-driven news reporting
- Thrived in a new media environment, learning skills such as computer-assisted reporting, video production and editing and website creation
- Wrote freelance articles for various publications throughout the Bay Area
While at Cal, I worked as a sports information assistant and compiled information for the 2000-01 men’s golf media guide; wrote feature stories included in the 2001 football media guide; and contributed player profiles for Calbears.com, the university’s official athletic site.
1995 – 1999